July 27, 2010

He works hard for the money...

Upon buying our first home 3 years ago, Kevin and I quickly learned an import thing about ourselves. We don't know how to fix anything. But we also quickly learned that my Dad knows how to fix anything! I swear he is a genius wrapped in button-up shirts and black slacks.

Every time my parents come to visit, I make up a huge list of fix-up and upgrade projects. Some might see this as a task master torturing her poor retired Father, but really he enjoys it. I swear! I once made the tragic mistake of not making out a list, and the poor man paced around my house looking for things to do.

He is a work horse. He has spent more time in my attic than the original contractors that built my house. Every visit must include 2 trips to Home Depot, or something is seriously off. I think he even knows our tool shelf better than Kevin. Here's a short list of the work he's done:

Installed 2 fans
Installed an Air Vent in Bathroom
Installed 3 Dimmer Switches
Painted Clare's Room
Installed a Bathroom Fixture
Changed Lawn Mower Oil
Installed Electric Fence
Baby Proof all the Cabinets
Fix Fence
Add Knobs to Kitchen & Bathroom Doors

We would be lost without him, and are so lucky we haven't officially broken his back yet. I'm hoping to get a tiled back splash installed before he hits 70 in 2 years!

1 comment:

Kathy Krile said...

Your father has always been a fixer upper. Every plastic toy you had as children got repaired at least once. Your uncle Carl taught him to solder with plastic. He got to be quite expert. Tom will never leave me; he'll just clue things back together and make them work. Plus the older something is the more precious it is to him, i.e. his dustbucket van. So I guess, he'll keep me and all the old stuff around here till we don't have another place to duck tape up. (Got to Love him.)