April 1, 2010

Finding Love in Lent - Part 3

*** WARNING: This is Part 3 of a 3 Part Blog. If you have not read part 1 & 2, you will be confused***

That Saturday is a day that still shines vividly in my mind. It was an unusually hot day, and our college CSA group was having a garage sale. I was having a great time hanging out with my friends, and Jack and I stayed late to help clean up the aftermath. It was 2 in the afternoon when Jack invited me to hang out at his apartment across the street. It was a big joke that, as being as popular as he was, everyone and their uncle had been to Jack’s apartment except me. I would joke with him that he didn’t want me over because he secretly had pictures of me hanging up in his room.

We crossed the old brick road and headed to his apartment. I got to meet his roommates, get a tour of the place, and hung out in his room. We just started talking, and once you got Jack and me talking it was about impossible to get us to stop. Minutes turned to hours, and before I knew it, it was already 5. As if by fate, Jack had to leave the room to go talk to one of his roommates. The second he shut the door, my cell phone began to ring. It was Ricardo! I didn’t want to hurt Jack’s feelings if he caught me talking to another guys about a ‘not really a date’ date plans, so I snuck into his bathroom to take the call. I was so excited to figure out where we were going to eat and what movie to watch. Ricardo’s voice sounded a little sheepish as I answered the phone. The conversation seemed to hit my ear drums in slow motion.

“Hey, Mary. Listen, about tonight. See, I accidentally made a mistake. I can’t hang out with you tonight. I forgot that I asked a girl to go to the drive-in tonight.” Ricardo said. Trying not to seem completely desperate, I mumbled, “A girl?” “Huh, what did you say? I didn’t hear you.” “Oh, um, nothing, that’s okay. Don’t worry about it.” Click. I literally felt the emotions I had for Ricardo drain from my body. Ricardo had just thrown a cold glass of water in my face, and I could finally see what our relationship was. Nothing. Friends, yes, but nothing more, and we never would be. I braced myself for a Saturday night alone watching sappy chick flicks as I left the bathroom.

When I went into the room, Jack was smiling at me, blissfully unaware at what had just happened. I was about to try and excuse myself, not wanting to overstay my welcome when he invited me to eat a home cooked Italian meal made by his roommates girlfriend. Anyone who knows me knows that I will never turn down an opportunity to eat. While the conversations were great, the bacon-chicken-pasta dish was even better. (Loryn, if you happen to read this, please e-mail me the recipe before I drool on the keyboard).

As the night went on, I kept on waiting for a dull in the conversation or an awkward pause to finally take my leave, but it never came. Jack invited me to go buy a new stereo for his car, so we took the wind whipping drive in his topless Jeep to go shopping. Then came dessert. I should have known things were changing when I admitted that I didn’t really like ice cream, and Jack offered to just split his favorite strawberry shortcake that I’m sure he’d prefer to have all to himself. You don’t just admit your weird food dislikes or share your favorite food with just anyone. We headed back to his apartment with the idea of watching a movie. As we sat there on his bed talking more and more, we lost track of time and never even started the movie. Finally at midnight, I noticed the clock. I couldn’t believe time had flown so fast just talking! Jack pointed out that if I stayed 2 more hours, we would have spent a 12 hour day together. I was up for the challenge. The talk continued about faith, family, and our future goals. We seemed to agree on everything. By the last 30 minutes, Jack was struggling to keep his eyes open, and I finally felt that my eyes had been open for the first time. Jack wasn’t just some just nice guy that was good friend. He was a partner, a man of God, and a perfect guy for me. At 2 a.m., Jack walked me to my car and I spent the whole drive home thinking how completely God changed my life in just 24 hours after I had prayed to Him.

Easter came and went with no second date asked by Jack. Just when I thought I had blown it with him, he asked me out in the most spectacular way. It was a 100% different from the first time, but that’s a story for another time.

As most of you can guess, Jack is my husband, Kevin. We got married in 2006 under what I know was God’s blessing. While Ricardo should still remain anonymous, I’m happy to report that he has recently entered the Seminary to pursue the priesthood. I guess there was a reason he could never stick to a girl. God wanted him for Himself.

The moral of the story is to not be afraid of God and his will. Though through our human eyes what he asks of us can seem all wrong and not what we want for ourselves, we must have living faith that he knows what’s best for us in the end. I used to think a lot about what would have happened if I chose to do my own will instead of His. I would have brushed Kevin aside and ruined our friendship, only to start a relationship with a person that was doomed to fail and leave me broken hearted and alone in the end. While God’s path didn’t feel like the easy one, it was the best one for my life. I hope this Easter we can all embrace what God wants for us in our lives.

No comments: