April 1, 2010

Finding Love in Lent - Part 1

As Holy Week is upon us, I can’t help but think about how I spent Lent this year. Half-hearted, slacking, and detached. But honestly, that’s how I probably spend most of my Lenten seasons. They say to get something out of your faith; you must actually make the effort to put something into it. One year I did do that, and it was the most amazing Lenten season of my life. This is the story of Lent 2004. Beware, it’s a long story, but trust me, it is all worth it.

Here is the list of characters (Names have been changed to protect the innocent):

Me- A junior at Texas Tech University, and everything else about me you already know.

Ricardo – Just imagine a Hispanic George Clooney. Handsome, full of charm, suave, great with the ladies, but never has been seen pinned down to one girl. I fell for him the first time I saw him. We had known each other since our first year at Tech.

Jack – Mr. All-American, boy next door. He was popular, funny, on every leadership team, knew everyone’s name, upperclassman, was at every social event, and could get into a conversation with a blind/mute person if given enough time. I had also met him my first year, but Jack knew everyone, so that wasn’t unusual.

What was unusual with Jack was that we actually became friends. Back in the day, we young folks spent all our time instant messaging on AIM. We became love advisors to each other. He was trying to start a relationship with his friend, and I was working on a rocky relationship with my boyfriend at the time. Jack’s relationship ended in a blaze of glory before it even started and mine just got worse and worse. After being dumped twice by the same loser (I can call him that because he’s not on facebook to read this), I was out on the market again. Word apparently spread quickly. Just a few days later, one of Ricardo’s close friends asked me if I’d be interested in dating again if Ricardo asked. I think it took me a good five minutes to wipe the dumb founded look off my face. Are you kidding me? The guy I’ve had a crush on for years is thinking about asking me out! I tried to pull it together and casually say, “Sure, if he wants too.” I excitedly anticipated every run in with Ricardo after that, but nothing seemed to happen.

What did happen threw me for a loop. After Jack and my love advice failed miserably, we still kept talking regularly. He was a great friend, and the perfect person to talk to. Always so easy going and relaxed. Then it happened before I could realize what was going on. I was dropping him off at his apartment after a concert, when the relaxed, easy talking Jack flipped a major nervous switch and said in one hasty breath, “So I was wondering if sometime you might want to go out with me, I mean I don’t know how it would go, or if it would be any fun, but maybe it could be, and, I don’t know, if you’re interested, we should go out on a date.” It caught me so off guard, and I had never seen him act like this. I honestly can say, that while Jack and I were great friends, I never thought of us dating. In my dumbfound state, I said the thing I had just told another guy few days ago, but with completely different feeling. “Sure, if you want too.” Finally, relief poured over Jack’s face like he had just ripped off a band-aid. We said we’d talk later, and he left me in my car to try and pick up my jaw.

*** To continue on with the story, please find part 2 & 3 ***

No comments: