April 3, 2005

Saying good-bye to Papa

^^^As the whole world knows now, Pope John Paul the Second has left this world to go to his real home. It makes me laugh now to think of one of my Protestant friends leaning over and asking me "How do you feel about this pope thing?". I don't quite remember what lame response I gave back to her, but it deserves further contemplation. The more I research my Catholic faith, the more I find out what a "devout catholic" I am. It's kind of funny, really. I've spent my whole life open to different walks of life and immersed in as much diversity as I could. And in the end, I always find the church as the center of truth. I used to be ashamed to say this, but not anymore. I'm a Papist. No, I didn't misspell Baptist. A papist is a Roman Catholic who is a strong advocate of the papacy and adheres to the Church of Rome and the authority of the pope. I followed the teaching and guidance of Pope John Paul II, the 264th successor of Saint Peter, and I will follow the next successor of Peter.

^^^ I am truly blessed to say that I got to see JPII with my own eyes New Years day 2005 in Vatican City, Italy. The whole experience was surreal and eye-opening. When you see the history of the church with your very own eyes on such holy ground, there is no question that the Roman Catholic church was the very first church and where the laws passed down from Jesus still remain. The history itself is overwhelming evidence. During the mass, people were standing of chairs and straining necks just to a get a glimpse at such an amazing man. Even in a wheel-chair with a slightly slurred speech, the Pope held more awe, power, and respect than any other man in the world. The amazing thing I thought about the Pope was how he made the church alive in this century, yet still firm on the teachings we have always held. Challenging the world against homosexual relations, contraceptives, and abortion. He saw the youth are the new leaders of the world, and spoke to them many a time about there responsibility in the Church to the "watchmen" of the new world.

We love you, J-P-2!

No comments: