February 29, 2012

Scrappy Sewing

Ever since I got my sewing machine last year, I've been drawn to simple small projects that mostly can be done with scraps.  I wanted to create a list of some of the things I've sewn, and now I see that they are mostly kid related.  I'm a very novice sewer, and I can promise you that if I can do any of these projects, then so can you.  Just click on the links below to find the blog tutorials!



Great for showing off those little scraps of fabric you love. 
Very simple tutorial, and just requires batting and Velcro as extra supplies.


Super Clare to the rescue!  This was Clare's "Santa" gift this year.  His elves were very proud of it.  We decided to come up with Clare's own shield instead of just copying superman, so you can get creative.  The cape does require buying more than a fat quarter of fabric, which I never like.  The Shield was made with felt sheets and double sided fusible web.



My very first sewing project, and a big hit with the kids. 
It can help with counting, color recognition, and fine motor skills for toddlers.



Okay, this project really doesn't revolve around kids, but I really loved it.  While it's not the best pin cushion in the world (pins stick out the bottom and stab you when you pick it up), it's a great way to always be able to see some of your favorite fabric scraps in use!  You could be creative and turn it into a ring holder for a wedding or pillow for your kids favorite doll



I had the most fun with this project, and the best part was that it cost around $10 to make!  The fabric is a twin sheet you buy at a Goodwill, and the polls are cheap PVC.  The best part about this is that when the kids are done playing hide and seek it folds up and can easily be hidden in a closet to get your floor space back.  I spray painted the PVC just to give it a more white color and used simple acrylic paint for the grass and stars.  I adapted the tutorial to fit my own aesthetic a bit, so go with what moves you.




Crayon Roll Up
Great beginners project and great Birthday present for kids!





Twin Boy's Onesies
No tutorial on this one, because I came up with it on the fly.  Clearance sale onesies tea bag dyed light brown.  Then use double sided fusible web to attach cut outs.  Lastly, zig-zag sew around the outer edges.  These were made for my friend having twins, but the options are limitless.

2 comments:

Lael said...

I cannot believe I didn't see this post sooner! You make awesome stuff, Mary! Very cool. I had wondered how you found onesies in such a cool khaki color - now I know. Everyone I show them to just raves about how cute they are.

Laura said...

Congratulations on all of your sewing progress! Looks great! Please let me know if ever want any minky fabric scraps...I'm always looking for someone to hand them off to and would be happy to send you some!